Silver is an excellent metal choice for necklaces, rings, bracelets, etc.
So, how to keep silver from tarnishing?
The noble silver color of 925 sterling silver stays shiny and glamorous for many years, but with time, natural processes cause oxidization and tarnishing. The next few tips will help you to keep your silver brand new.
- Use a cleaning cloth to clean your jewelry – using these cloths to clean silver once a week or so will keep sterling silver jewelry shining brightly. It should remove all oxidization specially if you live in humid environment or sweat a lot , however, if the piece of jewelry has an intentional dark oxidation to give it antique look- using this cloth may remove it as well, use the cleaning cloth carefully.
- Taking a shower with your silver jewelry is allowed and even recommended. Water and soap will help keeping the silver clean.
- When doing cleaning chores and using cleaning products (for example doing the dishes), it is advisable taking off all jewelry. Chemicals in the cleaning product may harm the jewelry and will cause tarnishing.
- Entering to the sea or the pool with jewelry is not recommended, the chlorine and the salty water can damage the silver.
- Avoid any contact of silver with perfume, or lotions.